What's happening for Europe Day?
Like all things this year, Europe Day will be different. But despite our usual cultural events not going ahead, much will be happening online to mark the 70th anniversary of the Schuman Declaration.
70 years after the Schuman declaration, the vision of building a Europe of solidarity is as relevant today as ever, as we fight this virus that itself knows no borders. During our campaign #EuropeansAgainstCOVID19 we encountered countless heart warming stories of solidarity between citizens. On Europe Day, we celebrate not only our political union but also the bond that has been developed between all of our citizens over the last 7 decades.
Our office in Dublin has had to make major adjustments to our annual celebrations but here is a summary of all the online events taking place to mark this special occasion:
- The first Vice-President of the European Parliament, Mairead McGuinness as well as other Members of the European Parliament will launch video messages reflecting on Europe Day and the current challenges we as a continent face.
- Galway Film Centre are celebrating the day by sharing some European short films. Check them out at the link below.
- Despite the European Youth Event (EYE) being postponed this year EYE online will be organising interactive talks as well as a panel discussion from 2pm onwards this Saturday.
- European Movement Ireland will be organising virtual policy initiatives.
- Europe Direct Information Centres (EDICs) in Waterford, Galway, Clones and Donegal will be marking the occasion by hosting online events and other virtual activities. Check out your local EDIC for more information
Happy Europe Day !